Head of division for new united division for Space Geodesy
Do you have leadership and management skills as well as a solid scientific background within space geodesy or closely related research fields? Do you find a challenge in merging two divisions into one - and to set the new united direction and goals? Do you have a strategic mindset and want to hold a central role of the internationally leading DTU Space at a highly reputed technical university?
DTU Space - Denmark's national space institute - is a world leading institute in several fields due to a unique interaction between science, technology and applied research. DTU Space is part of the Technical University of Denmark located at the main campus in Lyngby, Greater Copenhagen.
DTU Space has decided to create a united and strong new division for space geodesy, based on the existing divisions of Geodesy and Geodynamics. The new merged division will include about 35 employees including professors, senior researchers, Postdoc’s, PhD students and technical support staff.
The aim is to conduct research at international top level, contribute to DTU's education programs as well as provide science-based consultancy at international level - all in close cooperation with the business community and public authorities in Denmark and internationally.
The division’s main research areas will be:
- Geodetic reference systems, global navigation systems (GNSS), gravimetry, altimetry and cryosphere, new techniques for surveying, mapping and autonomy
- Space-geodesy related Earth observation applications
by conducting airborne and satellite projects on behalf of ESA, NASA, EU and other organizations.
Your areas of responsibility
- Outline a new and updated strategy for the united division for space geodesy. Daily management of the division incl. new organizational set-up, planning, resource management and budgetary control.
- Strategic prioritization of the divisions’ projects and research activities together with the senior staff of the new division.
- Be an integral part of the leadership team of DTU Space.
- Responsibility for obtaining external funding, which is an essential need to enable the large number of activities.
Info regarding the two former divisions:
Visionary people manager with recognized research experience within geodesy or closely related fields
The ideal candidate can be recognized in the following description:
- Experienced people manager with visionary and motivating leadership skills
- Experience in strategic management as well as daily resource management of specialist profiles, preferably research teams
- Academic education on PhD-level, internationally recognized research, preferably at professor level, within geodesy or closely related fields
- A strong professional and international network within geodesy or closely related fields, preferably incl. knowledge about the Danish geo-data sector
- Experience with project management and education management
- Commercial drive with experience in obtaining external funding and cooperation with the business community
- Full of initiative with strong communication skills
- Proficiency in English is mandatory and proficiency in, or alternatively willingness to learn, Danish is mandatory
What DTU offers in return
We offer a challenging job in an international environment with a high level of ambition and focusing on research, education, innovation, and authority services beneficial for the society. You are given a seldom opportunity to prepare a new strategy for the area, as well as finding the new ideal organizational structure for the division, which is well-reputed for high ambitions and competences. There is a high focus on developing professional competences and the job offers great flexibility. The employment will be matched to your qualifications.
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation, and scientific advice. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and an academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
DTU is continuously working to professionalize management. The work is specified in the DTU Leadership Role, which describes DTU’s expectations of the professional and personal competences of its managers. The DTU Leadership Role is based on four cornerstones: Academic management, Resource management, People management, and Strategic management. In addition, handling a leadership role at DTU is contingent on the individual manager bringing personal leadership into play. This means, for example, that all managers have an eye for supporting the generation of results through interaction between people. To find out more about DTU’s Leadership Role, see the website.
Salary and appointment terms
The appointment is permanent and based on the collective agreement with the Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed with the relevant union. The position will be adjusted equivalent to your academic qualifications.
Application and contact
DTU welcomes applications for the position as Head of Section. Please open the “Søg stilling” link and thereby upload your CV and cover letter – in English or Danish. Preferably also relevant exam certificates and publication list. Please submit your application no later than 5th May 2019.
Hartmanns A/S will assist DTU with carrying out the recruitment process. For any inquiries, please contact Senior Recruitment Consultant Mads Jakobsen at Hartmanns by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: +45 41 21 13 26. As Hartmanns A/S is responsible for the full recruitment process, all inquiries should be directed to this contact.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, disability, race, religion, or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
You can read more about DTU Space on https://www.space.dtu.dk/english
DTU Space uses space as a base for research and technology development in order to learn more about the Universe and Earth, to study climate and environment on Earth and create results and technologies that benefit society.
DTU Space has about 145 employees, an annual turn-over of about 130 MDKK and it is located at the Lyngby Campus of the Technical University of Denmark together with 19 other institutes within the technical sciences.
DTU is a technical university providing internationally leading research, education, innovation and scientific advice. Our staff of 6,000 advance science and technology to create innovative solutions that meet the demands of society, and our 11,200 students are being educated to address the technological challenges of the future. DTU is an independent academic university collaborating globally with business, industry, government and public agencies.
Hovedstaden (inkl. Nordsjælland)
- Ansøgningsfrist 04-05-2019
eller ring +45 4121 1326